Saturday, January 26, 2008

Questions and answers for my first flight alone with three kids!

1. How long was the actaul layover in Denver after the flight was delayed for a second time?
Only 3 plus hours! It was originally supposed to leave around 7:55 but was changed to 8:55 and then delayed until 10:10. I was not a happy camper when I found this out. So I tried to get stand by on an earlier flight to SL. I trucked it all the way across the airport and made it to the terminal with 10 minutes before boarding and waited. You should have seen some of the looks I got. Sheer surprise and some people just looking sorry for me. I waited for the 8:05 plane to board and then they did their final boarding call. I didn't bug the agent and waited. She said, "If you don't board the plane in the next 2 minutes your seat will be taken." I waited the 2 minutes but she never called the stand by people to come forward. I continued to wait and then 2 people run up and catch their flight. Then a few minutes later 4 people run up and catch it too. Then another few people catch it as well. All the while there I am 10 feet away with all my kids and she doesn't say a word. We were starving and hadn't had dinner and yet we don't hear a word about stand by passengers. Not one. Finally a gentleman runs up and says he is on that flight and she says, I'm sorry, the flight has left. You have GOT to be kidding me. Honestly. I understand that they may not have room but come on. Could she at least say something? Like "Stand by passengers, there is no room at this time?" How long does that take? Seriously. Boy was I bugged. So I took the girls all the way back past the previous terminal and had dinner.
2. How did I pinch a nerve in my back? Well, just picture me with Audrey on my back in a carrier, and pushing the double stroller with Claire and Hallie, with the carseat draped over the top of the stroller and our cary ons in the bottom of the stroller, oh and our 4 coats shoved in there as well. I think that explains the pinched nerve! :) Although I must say that back carrier saved me. I was able to have 2 free hands and never had to worry about Where Audrey was or what she was doing. It was worth the back pain hands down! I could even go to the bathroom with her still in it. I just held her feet up!!!
3. How many people did it take to get us boarded on the second flight? only me and 3 other adults. Audrey wasn't in her carrier anymore so I was holding her. A lady helped carry the carseat. Another lady pushed the girls in the stroller and the last person helped carry the coats. Boy was it an ordeal!
4. Why couldn't I see at one point during the second flight? Audrey hit me in the eye and my contact popped out. I am BLIND without my contacts so I blinked and when I opened my eyes I couldn't see a thing out of my left eye. I touched it and luckily my contact (hard) happened to be on my eyelashes. Boy could that have been worse. I could imagine trying to find it on the ground of the airplane. IMPOSSIBLE. So I handed Audrey to the stewardess in the back and put my contact back in.
5. Who threw up on the plane after the second flight? There was a lot of turbulence during the flight and when we were waiting to deboard the plane Audrey started dry heaving. I looked around frantically and said to the stewardess, I think she's gonna throw up. She opened the latch to the bathroom, opened the lid to the toilet just as Audrey launched it into the toilet. It couldn't have been more perfect. Again, it could have been SO much worse. Can you imagine the smell of it all over me and the girls in the middle of the flight? Not to mention how bad the clean up would have been?
6. How long did we wait to deboard the plane since no one was at the terminal to let us off? It took 30 stinkin' minutes. After the whole layover we still didn't get off for 30 minutes cause no one was there to open the latch and let us out. SO annoying!!
7. And last but not least, What time did we get to my sisters house? We didn't get home until 2a.m. I was so wiped out and still am, frankly. What a trip!
Just so you all know, I am still alive as are all my children. None of them were beaten or yelled at.
Although there were some very bad patches in the 10 hours we were traveling, it could have been so much worse. I have decided that the hardest party about flying with kids are the things you can't control. I can handle giving the kids things to do and entertaining them (no, we did not have a DVD player!!) but when you throw in delays, problems with the flight, and that you can't control other people it gets really hard.

Note to self and all reading:
If I have learned anything from this experience it is that you should pay the extra hundred or hundred and fifty dollars and GET A STRAIGHT THROUGH FLIGHT! It is worth every last penny!
Well, Have a lovely day everyone! Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

The O'Briens said...

So, I did get some of the information this morning when I was on the phone to Mom, but I didn't get a all of it. Anyway, here is goes.

1. How long was the actaul layover in Denver after the flight was delayed for a second time? About 3 1/2 hours?
2. How did I pinch a nerve in my back? From carrying Audrey around in that backpack thing for hours upon hours.
3. How many people did it take to get us boarded on the second flight? 2 adults (not including you).
4. Why couldn't I see at one point during the second flight? Hmm...kids crawling all over in your lap?
5. Who threw up on the plane after the second flight? Audrey. (But you made it to the toilet.)
6. How long did we wait to deboard the plane since no one was at the terminal to let us off? 30 minutes.
7. And last but not least, What time did we get to my sisters house? A little before 2:00 a.m.

I am happy to hear that you are still alive and have all three of your children. You know how worried I was about the entire thing. I know, I am bit dramatic and over emotional. I was just worried you were gonna have a huge target on your forehead. I love you and am so excited you are here!

karin said...

All of that sounds horrible, it would be a while before I would fly with kids again in winter alone but I have a hard time driving an hour with the kids alone right now.

Glad to hear you are safe and with family. I hope you take a great nap or go to bed early.

J and C Fish Family said...

Leah,
We are so sorry, I hope Audrey didn't get sick from Jess, not that it makes it any better if she did. We were praying for you, so I guess it could have been worse.
1. How long was the actual layover? I'll go with the 3 and 1/2 hours.
2. How did I pinch a nerve in my back? Again going with packing Audrey in the backpack for a whole day and part of the night.
3. How many people did it take to get us boarded on the second flight? You and one attendant. I am thinking Claire would have been a bigger help and that would only mean one helper.
4. Why couldn't I see at one point during the second flight? I think that you couldn't see due to the pinched nerve.
5. Who threw up on the plane after the second flight? Claire, she is the best for that since she can hold it. I am hopeful anyway.
6. How long did we wait to deboard the since no one was at the terminal to let us off? Half hour sounds good to me.
And finally
7. What time did we get to my sisters house? I am going with 2:00 am also. I am putting a lot of faith in the O'briens responses.

Josh and Carol

J & M Shumate Family said...

This post is too funny! I hope you are doing better today! I've flown a lot with Jacob and Matthew and boy is life fun flying with kids...and then if your plane gets delayed....and your kids start throwing up...MAN ALIVE!!! At least you can laugh about it now....

Mitchell Family said...

So considering that Steph is your sister and you guys are a lot like my family,you talk all the time and know every detail, I will go with Stephs answers! After reading your experience on the plane with your kids, I now have a very good excuse as to why I am not taking my kids with me next week! I will just have to have clint read it. Glad you made it and excited to see you guys again!

mistyp said...

Sounds like a nightmare! That's why we always did direct flights when I was alone with the kids. I would have died with layovers! Glad you're still alive, too!

I guess that Hallie threw up...? 5hour layover, pinched nerve from falling down? 4 people to get you on the plane and your contact was rolled in your eye? (Do you even wear them?) What else... 20 mins to get off the plane and home by 4 a.m.

P.S. Zeb looked pretty lonely sitting in sacrament meeting... ;)

Rachel Gillie said...

I thought we were friends, but apparently we're not on the friends and family list. I guess we'll settle for acquaintances - Ric (you know, that one guy from high school).

Leah said...

Oh Rachel, Rachel! I actually went to add you but your blog is private and I can't find the link to it. Can you email it to me so I can officially add you to the "friends list?" :) I really did try! :)

Steph said...

Ok-THIS is hilarious. I am dying here! I can just picture all of these things happening to you...oh the stress. We are going to Utah in March, just me and the kiddos..and I am now officially terrified. PS. Ava got motion sickness on our way to California over Thanksgiving and threw up ALL over me, Derek, herself and the seats infront of us...it stunk and everyone hated us. The flight attendent did nothing but come by with some air freshener..rude. But I couldn't blame her. haha Glad you guys got there safe! I'm sad we didn't hang before you left. Turns out 8 kids in nursery had runny noses on Sunday, so I might as well have just come over. Dang! Have fun there! :)

Steph said...

PS. I am impressed that you didn't say something rude to that nasty lady who didn't tell you about the flight being full. I doubt I would have been as patient.

Katie L. said...

I am so sorry Leah! I know what you were going through because when I flew with Ben and Sam (when Sam was a baby) the plane was going everywhere and Ben didn't give me any warning before he puked all over me and the ladies bag that was under my seat! And no one helped me! So I was feeling your story! Glad you finally made it!

Summer said...

I love the new look of your blog--trraveling with kids is a nightmare!!!! I can't wait to see you Saturday!

Emily said...

Sorry your flight home was such a stinky one! Yikes. But it did make for one funny post :) Have a great time in Utah and we'll see ya when you get back!

Stamp With Linz said...

Ah, motherhood...

Michele said...

Sometimes I see all the cute babies in this ward and look at Tom with puppy dog eyes... But we like to travel, too, and boy do I not miss all the hard stuff that comes with those tiny ones! Moisture of all kinds, feeding, feeding, feeding, and poop are at the top of my "Thank Goodness We're Done With That" list!