Saturday, February 2, 2008

Burger please!

This was an e-mail Zeb sent me that I just had to post!

"So I thought this picture would be a fun way to introduce you to my
night. After talking to you about going out to eat I started
weighing my possibilities. I was trying to think of a place that
I've been wanting to go, that I know you don't like. I figured I'd
get it out of my system while you were away so that I wouldn't have
to drag you along with me. After failing to conjure up such a
restaurant, I decided I'd just go for a burger. So I headed for
Sonic. I knew I didn't want fries, and they have tots, so it was a
nice solution. I ordered a number one with cheese. Since Sonic asks
you whether you want mustard, mayonnaise, OR ketchup
(the "or" drives me nuts - I want all three), I told them that I wanted all three.
The meal was promptly made and delivered. I was off. When I got
home, I opened the bag and low-and-behold.... I know what you're
thinking, "no ketchup," "no mayonnaise," "no mustard," or "no
mayonnaise, mustard, or ketchup." And your right, but they neglected
something else as well, the hamburger and cheese. That's right. I
received a bun with lettuce, pickles, and a tomato. Fantastic! So I
get in the car and head back to Sonic. As one of the uniformed
teenagers is walking back into the building I ask for her help. I
explain what happened and restate my order. "I want a number one
with mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, and cheese." She apologizes for
the mistake and quickly heads inside. She returns shortly with the
second bag and again apologizes. I smile politely and say, "No
problem." As I'm backing from my stall I think to myself, "Surely
they wouldn't get my order wrong a second time." As much as I wanted
to place my confidence in the young and vibrant minds of tomorrow, I
couldn't do it. Instead, I pulled to the side of the parking lot and
checked the order. My lack of confidence was reinforced as I opened
the wrapper to find a burger naked of any traces of vegetables. No
lettuce. No tomato. No pickles. That's right, a bun, burger,
cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup. So, I circled back around
and pulled into the stall once more. When another kind young
teenager approached I explained to him what I have just told you
(minus the lack of confidence part), I then made my order very
specific, "Bun, hamburger, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles,
mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup. Or if you prefer, a number one
with everything on it but onions." The teenager apologized and raced
inside for the third attempt. As you may have guessed, three bags,
three attempts, third times a charm. All for one burger."

7 comments:

karin said...

That is hilarious! I have been known to sit in the drive-thru to check my order (especially here where English is NOT the primary language).

J and C Fish Family said...

The best part is I think that would only happen to you. You have possibly the worst restaurant luck ever. I am thinking of Wendy's, China Lily, and of course lest any one forget Chilli's. Thanks for the laugh.

mistyp said...

What an ordeal! Glad he survived through it! :)

Rachel Gillie said...

That is awesome! I learned from my mom when all five of us kids + the whole neighborhood were pilled in the van to always check the order at the window. 8 times out of 10 the order they give you is wrong!

Emily said...

How funny!

I just want to thank Zeb for having his Super bowl man party. Tom had a good time, and I got to spend the evening watching "Fried Green Tomatoes" instead of pretending to care about the game. Thanks!!!

The O'Briens said...

Haha. I love it. Nothing bothers Robby more than when, in his words, "they can't get something this simple right!" We always order a drink 1/2 sprite & 1/2 lemonade. It typically comes out as all of one or the other. (After they say the mix is no problem.) Ah, the frustrations of the drive-up. Thanks for the story. I loved picturing Zeb's face through it all!

Angie said...

Loved Zeb's wording about "the young and vibrant minds of tomorrow". Perhaps you should quit law school and think about a career in writing? Just a thought.