Thursday, February 21, 2008

Consumer Nirvana Where Are You?

Leah told me that I needed to post to our blog because she really wasn't feeling up to it. Then she posted the picture of Claire, but I'm going to make a post anyway. In fact part of my post will even be news to Leah.

So many of you know that my journey to "consumer nirvana" has been a long and bumpy road. From pubes in my rice to gum in my fries, it would seem that I've had a more difficult struggle to reach my consumertopia than most. This past month has been no different. A while back Leah decided to apply for a new credit card. She was to receive two great features on the card - sky miles and 0% interest. What's not to like. We recently decided that it was ridiculous that she had the only card on the account and that I would have to pretend to be Leah anytime I used the card when she wasn't there - I'm sure you can imagine I don't look good in Leah's skirts! So she called and ordered a card for me. The new card came in the mail a few days later. However, when we opened the envelope, the new card had Leah's name on it. So, Leah called back and asked them to send a new card with my name on it. The customer service agent apologized profusely and assured us that he would correct the problem. Sure enough, a new card came with a new name. The problem was that the name on the card was not my name. The good news is that if anyone knows a "Ceb" Fish, I have his card. Now I've been repeating my name for some 25 years, so I decided to make the call to correct the problem. However, the kind, foreign customer service agent informed me that despite the fact that the name on my card was spelled incorrectly, only the primary account holder was authorized to make changes to my card. I explained that Leah was my wife and that it was my card all to no avail. I told him that Leah would call, but that I wanted him to make an "account notation" that the spelling was incorrect and I then spent a fantastic five minutes explaining to this non-native speaker the wonders of the English alphabet.

Let's take a brief pause here for a moment to clarify something. I am not a racist, nor do I discriminate on the basis of ethnicity. If I were an employer I would most definitely be equal opportunity. However, I loathe the business concept of saving money on customer service by outsourcing call centers to countries whose native language is not English. And now the story continues...

Later that night Leah made a second phone call, and had the privilege of experiencing the same conversation I had just had, despite the existence of the "account notation." After another string of insincere apologies, and some further "account notations," Leah was assured that the problem would be corrected. Well, the card came in the mail yesterday, and good news, if you know "Ceb" Fish, I now have two cards for him!

I'm just now realizing that this post was really long. Initially I had planned to relate two stories, but time and space restraints are compelling me to reevaluate. Here's what I'm going to do, if I see a sufficient number of comments to this post I'll go ahead and tell my second story. However, this sufficiency test is a subjective test, and we all know how shady those subjective tests can be (that's for you Steph). If the comments are sparse, I'll conclude that no one wants to read my consumer rantings and turn the stage back over to Leah and pretty pictures of our children.

12 comments:

karin said...

I read ALL postings but have been slacking on the comments as of late. But I do share the same feelings about the non-English speaking "consumer representatives." Why should I spend precious nap time (which is rare) trying to convince someone something that is their job.

*I am interested in the second story.

Leah said...

I am totally laughing out loud. Zeb, you really are funny.
The sad thing is that the story really is true. When we got the first card with my name on it I rolled my eyes. When we got the second card to "Ceb" I was a little annoyed. When we got the third card to "Ceb" again I was just plain ticked. I even told the guy on the phone it was Z as in ZEBRA how does that go back to C? I guess the third time really isn't the charm.

J and C Fish Family said...

Ceb, you tell the bestest stories ever. You got to do another post, the suspense is killing me. Consider it a birthday present.

Hosh

Angie said...

Ceb-
Loved the post. Things like this seem to happen to you often... Be strong big guy. Remind me somday to tell my questar gas story. It may even top yours. I will check back in a few days for story number two! Angie

Zeb said...

Sorry Josh, you can't have everything on your birthday.

Michelle said...

ahh...the world of the globalized economy. isn't it grand. more stories, please!!!

Katie L. said...

Zeb- Mat and I are getting a kick out of your story! I will not put what he thinks about the whole english speaking at call centers thing but you can only imagine! :) I wouldn't want to be in the room with the two of you talking about it!

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

It is amazing to me that Zeb always seems to have the best luck with consumer services. The sonic incident and now this. I can't wait to hear more. I will say that you shouldn't move to a military town. Even though many people say they are patriotic, the customer service is awful. I think mostly that young soldiers don't know that they should be treated better. Good luck with the card

The O'Briens said...

Okay, I was in bed last night and Abbie read this to me. I was laughing throughout the entire story, but when she read the subjective test comment I cracked up. When Abbie read that the comment was for me I roared. I LOVE it! The subjective tests are completely arbitrary and follow the whims of the judge and the objective tests are riddled with subjectivity! Classic! Ceb, you are CURSED! I seriously feel sorry for you that you have such horrible experiences but, admittedly, I delight in hearing about them!! We loved the story. I hate to say it but keep them coming.

Rachel Gillie said...

I kind of like the name Ceb. That is how I would pronounce it if I preferred the company of men. You may call me Wic big guy.

Ric

Stamp With Linz said...

Ceb, that was hilarious!

Kmom said...

Come on Zeb, just finish the story!
Kim G.